Truck drivers on Wednesday got a 48 hours deadline to vacate the bridges in Lagos after a meeting of stakeholders in the state.
This was the decision of the military and the State Government at the end of the meeting at Apapa Headquarters of the Western Naval Command (WNC).
Among those at the meeting were the Flag Officer Commanding (FOC) WNC, Rear Admiral Slyvanus Abbah; Permanent Secretary (PS), Lagos State Ministry of Transport, Dr. Taiwo Salau; Commander, 9 Brigade, Nigerian Army (NA), Brig.-Gen. Adiku Attu; Base Commander, Nigerian Air Force (NAF), Air Commodore Mike Olatunji, Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) manager, Aisha Ali-Ibrahim, and representatives of Dangote Group.
Others were National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), containerised truck drivers, Apapa Residents Association, the police and the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA).
It was agreed that the trucks’ presence on the bridges constituted a security risk as they could be easy targets for terrorists, TheNation writes.
Rear Admiral Abbah warned that the bridges could collapse because of the static weight they had been forced to carry for over a decade.
“We cannot continue like this. This gridlock from Apapa to Mile Two and then from the stadium up to Eko Bridge does not do anyone good,” the FOC said.
“We do not want to see tankers and trucks parked on the bridges anymore. They have requested for 48 hours to start phasing off their trucks from the bridges and we have obliged.”
Salau said the government had completed a holding bay that could accommodate 3,500 tankers at Orile, adding that work is ongoing on another one that can take 2,700 containerised trucks.
Salau said: “The bridges were built to carry light load and not heavy weights as they have been subjected to.
“The vehicles have entered inner routes and virtually all parts of the state suffer from their action.”