Saudi Arabia has finally released a report admitting that journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside its consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul, according to the kingdom’s state media.
“An argument erupted between him [Khashoggi] and others whom he met in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul leading to a fist fight which led to his death,” the official SPA press agency said on Saturday, via Al Jazeera. Adding, “The investigations are still under way and 18 Saudi nationals have been arrested.”
Also, a statement from the Saudi public prosecutor said that royal court adviser Saud al-Qahtani and deputy intelligence chief Ahmed al-Asiri were fired from their positions.
Recall that Khashoggi’s disappearance created an intense diplomatic rift between Saudi and the West, with the United Kingdom, France and Germany demanding that a “credible investigation” be conducted into the events that led to the journalist’s disappearance, while President Trump warned of serious retribution if the Saudis are found to be behind his possible death.
Earlier this week, Saudi Arabia warned that it would retaliate against any sanctions imposed on the oil-rich kingdom over the disappearance of the journalist, as the Riyadh stock market plunged on growing investor jitters.
Not long after, tech tycoons and media giants–a host of Western companies, began to distance themselves from the Gulf state, imperiling the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s much-hyped economic reform drive.
Now, the kingdom has confirmed Kashoggi’s killing at its consulate.
However, it remains unclear where Khashoggi’s body is following his killing.