Plateau Killings: Military Parades 7 More Suspects

The Nigerian army has arrested seven suspects in connection with the brutal raids on some communities in Plateau State, north-central Nigeria.

This was disclosed by the Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General John Agim, who told reporters in the state capital Jos that more arrests would be made.

“Our troops are still getting those who are involved in the attacks on June 23,” he said. “Two of the suspects that our intelligence gathering led us to have been arrested.”

While the suspects – Ibrahim Joji and Madu Ibrahim – were arrested allegedly for the attacks on June 23, the military apprehended three others – Shaibu Suleman, Buhari Shaibu, and Zakamin Abdulkadri – in connection with the killings that took place on July 14.

Stating that the Commander of Operation Safe Haven was relocated to the affected areas in a bid to restore peace, Brigadier General Agim added that those apprehended would be handed over to the police for further investigation and prosecution.

He said while no weapon was found with the suspects, they were part of the said perpetrators of the attacks.

The arrest of the seven suspects now brings the number of those apprehended so far in connection to the killings to 18.

The attack in June is one of the worst in the series of raids on hapless residents, leaving at least 100 persons dead and several others displaced in Barkin Ladi, Jos South and other parts of the state.

The attacks had also sparked a widespread criticism and led to the deployment of Special Forces to the state, while President Buhari, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, and the Nigerian Governors Forum, among others, paid condolence visits to Plateau.

Although the state government believes that relative peace and calm have returned to the affected areas, it urged residents to show restraint.

, ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *