Nigerian Dancer Who Disgraced Rapper Olamide in Germany Speaks Out

Jacobs May, the Germany-based Nigerian dancer who published the video of her altercation with Olamide in Germany, has finally spoken up in new chat with Punch.

In case you missed how their drama started: the YBNL rapper was billed to headline a concert in Ludwigshafen/Mannheim on February 24. Fans came from different location in the country just for that event slated to hold from “9pm till dawn”, but when Olamide came on stage, he allegedly performed for only 25 minutes.

Concertgoers got upset, and one of those who confronted him was Jacobs May.

In the video she shared on social media, May is heard yelling at the Nigerian rapper, and all attempts by his team to quash the chaos failed.

Now, she has spoken up on why she confronted the rapper so that Nigerians at home will have “an in-depth understanding” of how it all began.

See excerpts of her interview.

About her involvement in the concert, she said:

I really did not want to talk further about the Olamide issue, but I saw a video on YouTube and this made me realise some Nigerians still have no clue or an in-depth understanding of what exactly happened in the video.

The organisers approached me, six weeks to the show, asking me to invest €6,000 in the show as Olamide will be in Germany to perform. I told them the notification was too short for me to invest that kind of money. Three weeks to the show, they contacted me again, begging me to use my photograph to promote the show, which I accepted to do. I also posted the photo on my Facebook and Instagram pages and even told my followers and other people to get their own tickets.

On what led to the altercation, she said:

I was told that Olamide arrived at the hotel where I also lodged on Saturday and he was scheduled to perform at 1:00am on Sunday. But to my amazement, Olamide came up at 3:30am, having kept people waiting for two hours.

By the time he came on stage, fans were furious. People were already drunk and they started flinging objects onto the stage. I was seated on the VIP section, which was mounted on the stage. I was part of the people who got hit by a bottle and I almost collapsed on stage. People, including me, got so angry after Olamide performed for only 20 minutes. People paid so much to watch your performance and you put up a shabby performance and for just 20 minutes.

About the quarrel, she said:

Like I mentioned earlier, I lodged in the same hotel as Olamide. I got to know when he arrived on Saturday because I have been in the hotel since Friday. Since we were in the same hotel, I walked up to him in the lobby at daybreak to explain what had happened to me as a result of him coming late on stage. I approached him as a civil person and told him what had happened to me. I also told him that it was unfair that he flew seven hours only for a 20-minute show. I confronted him with the fact that it was disrespectful of him to have come late and not to apologise to his fans and to also throw a 20-minute performance for fans that have waited over two hours for him.

I was dazed when he stood up and walked out on me.

I was full of rage when he showed no concern, compassion or remorse. That was when I brought out my phone to record the whole incident. Perhaps if he was polite I would have accepted his apology and walked quietly to my room; but his attitude led to the fiasco.

Just like it is often said that pride goes before a fall, there was no way I would tolerate such an attitude.”

Asked if she confronted the show organisers, she said:

Yes, I did. They did a video disclaiming my accusations and saying it was a wrong move. I am suing them. I will make sure no show is done here again if the security of the people cannot be guaranteed.

Asked if Olamide has since contacted her, she said:

No. In fact, I believe there is no need for that. His arrogance would not even let him do such.

Olamide had yet to speak up as at press time.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *