Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says the country has carried out its most intense attack against Hamas militant targets in Gaza since the war in 2014.
This comes after rockets were fired into Israel by said, who later said a truce had been agreed despite further exchanges.
Palestinian health officials said two people were killed and 12 injured in an air strike in Gaza City on Saturday, while three Israelis were hurt by one of more than 90 rockets fired on Israel.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said it had struck facilities used by Hamas including a battalion headquarters in Beit Lahia, a training camp located in a high-rise building in the al-Shati refugee camp in northern Gaza, weapons storage facilities and rocket launchers, BBC writes.
Over the last hour, IDF fighter jets targeted dozens of military targets in four Hamas military compounds throughout the Gaza Strip. The focus of the wide-scale strike was a Hamas Battalion HQ in Beit Lahia pic.twitter.com/nDIxRA4ovn
— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) July 14, 2018
“In consultation with the minister of defence, the chief of staff and the top security command of the state of Israel, we have decided on strong action against Hamas terrorism,” Mr Netanyahu said in a video statement.
“The IDF have struck Hamas with the hardest blow since Operation Protective Edge and we will increase the strength of our attacks as necessary,” he added, referring to the 2014 conflict.
Palestinian officials however said a ceasefire had now been agreed thanks to “Egyptian and international efforts”. Israel has not commented on the report.
The attacks coincided with mass demonstrations along the Gaza border which saw thousands of Palestinians express their support for the declared right of Palestinian refugees to return to their ancestral homes in what is now Israel – as well as demanding an end to the blockade of Gaza imposed by Israel and Egypt.
Israel and Egypt say the blockade is a necessary security measure against militants.