Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein has been charged in New York with rape and several counts of sexual abuse.
Mr Weinstein turned himself in to police in the city earlier in the day following accusaitons by dozens of women including rape and sexual assault which birthed the #MeToo movement last year.
Mr Weinstein denied having non-consensual sex with any of his accusers and is now out on bail, wearing a monitoring device.
A statement from the New York Police Department said Mr Weinstein “was arrested, processed and charged with rape, criminal sex act, sex abuse and sexual misconduct for incidents involving two separate women”.
The 66-year-old arrived at the police station in lower Manhattan on Friday where he had his mugshot and fingerprints taken before being led out in handcuffs and taken to court.
Mr Weinstein was released on a $1m bail bond and his lawyer Ben Brafman told reporters outside the court the disgraced mogul would enter a not guilty plea.
“We intend to move very quickly to dismiss these charges,” Mr Brafman said. “We believe that they are constitutionally flawed. We believe that they are not factually supported by the evidence.”
While details of those making the accusations have not yet been officially released, former actress Lucia Evans, who said Weinstein forced her into oral sex in 2004, is thought to be one of the women whose cases triggered the charges.