Floyd Mayweather Changes His Mind About Fighting Japanese Kickboxer

Floyd Mayweather will not be fighting Tenshin Nasukawa anytime soon.

Posting on his Instagram last night, the retired boxer said he and his team never agreed to a fight with the Japanese kickboxing phenom.

“Now that I am back on U.S. soil after a long and disappointing trip to Tokyo, I now have the time to address you, my fans and the media in regard to the upcoming event on December 31st that was recently announced,” Mayweather wrote. “First and foremost, I want it to be clear that I, Floyd Mayweather, never agreed to an official bout with Tenshin Nasukawa. In fact (with all due respect) I have never heard of him until this recent trip to Japan.”

This comes just days after Mayweather, the 20-year-old Nasukawa, Mayweather business associate Brent Johnson, and executives from the Rizin Fighting Federation appeared at Monday’s news conference and announced the fight for Dec. 31 at the 37,000-seat Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japa.

The news stirred heated reactions, with many people wondering what the retired was thinking when he agreed to such a fight, especially because he spent several minutes at the news conference lauding his opponent and answering questions about the event and his decision to come out of retirement for the fight.

Now he has backtracked.

“Ultimately, I was asked to participate in a 9 minute exhibition of 3 rounds with an opponent selected by the Rizen Fighting Federation,” Mayweather wrote. “What I was originally informed of (it) by Brent Johnson of One Entertainment was that this was to be an exhibition put on for a small group of wealthy spectators for a very large fee. This exhibition was previously arranged as a ‘Special Bout’ purely for entertainment purposes with no intentions of being represented as an official fight card nor televised worldwide.”

“Once I arrived to the press conference, my team and I were completely derailed by the new direction this event was going and we should have put a stop to it immediately,” he said. “I want to sincerely apologize to my fans for the very misleading information that was announced during this press conference and I can assure you that I too was completely blindsided by the arrangements that were being made without my consent nor approval.

“For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry. I am a retired boxer that earns an unprecedented amount of money, globally, for appearances, speaking engagements and occasional small exhibitions.”

See the full post below.

,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *