The federal government has frozen the bank accounts of suspects being tried in court over allegations of corruption by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
This follows the implementation of the Executive Order No. 6 on the “preservation of suspicious assets connected with corruption and other relevant offences” signed by President Muhammadu Buhari in October 2018, TheCable writes.
The federal government has also placed a travel ban on the affected persons, though the list is yet to be officially made public.
“I issued a cheque of N250,000 to a friend and it was turned down,” a former minister who was affected informed TheCable.
“When I called my account officer, he invited me for a meeting, where I was told there is a ‘post no debit’ instruction on all my accounts because of the executive order. They told me I am not the only one affected. All persons undergoing trial are affected.”
Also, former spokesman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Olisa Metuh on Tuesday said he said he “did not have money to buy even Panadol” because all his accounts had been frozen by the EFCC.
Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, had in March released the list of alleged looters following a challenge from the PDP.
Among those on the list are national chairman of the PDP, Uche Secundus, former national Security Advisor, Sambo Dasuki, former Minister of Petroleum Diezani Madueke, among others.
The implementation of Executive Order 6 remains contentious as rights groups and lawyers argue that it is an affront on the right to own property.