Female Gunman dead, Several Injured after Shooting at YouTube Headquarters

No fewer than four people were shot at YouTube’s headquarters in San Bruno on Tuesday after a female gunman broke into the premises.

Three victims were taken to local hospitals, while the attacker died at the scene, apparently of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said during a press conference Tuesday.

Shooting victims included a 36-year-old male in critical condition, a 32-year-old woman in serious condition, and a 27-year-old woman in fair condition, according to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital spokesman Brent Andrew. Another woman present at the shooting was treated for a twisted ankle at Kaiser Permanente South San Francisco Medical Center, a spokesman said.

The shooting suspect was a woman, identified as Nasim Najafi Aghdam, 39, who had posted a video on YouTube in January claiming that the video site “discriminated and filtered” her content.

According to The Verge, several hundred employees were evacuated on Tuesday afternoon after the shooting began.

“It’s with great sadness that I tell you — based on the latest information — four people were injured in this horrific act of violence,” Google CEO Sundar Pichai said in a note to employees.

“We’re doing everything we can to support them and their families at this time.”

The shooting reportedly began at around 12:45PM PT, when many people were eating on a patio in the rear of the building, according to police.

YouTube product manager Todd Sherman said that employees first thought there had been an earthquake, before word came in that someone had a gun.

Footage posted on Snapchat showed YouTube employees streaming out of the building with their hands above their heads.

As one of the most-visited services on the web, YouTube is under constant scrutiny for its policy decisions over content moderation, monetization, and other issues.

, ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *