Ex-Liverpool striker Sturridge banned from football for 4 months

Ex-Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge has been banned from football for four months for a violation of betting rules.

The former England international was originally given a six-week ban last summer, four of them suspended, but the FA appealed against the findings of an independent commission, BBC writes.

An appeal board also doubled the 30-year-old’s fine to £150,000.

It was announced on Monday that Sturridge’s contract with Turkish side Trabzonspor had been terminated by mutual agreement.

Sturridge had faced various charges alleging he passed on inside information over a potential transfer in January 2018.

A statement from the FA said the appeal board had ruled the commission “misapplied rules in relation to the use of inside information and made findings of fact which could not be sustained”.

As a result, the board found proven two further charges that had originally been dismissed.

Liverpool announced in June 2019 that Sturridge – who scored eight times in 26 appearances for England – would be leaving the club that summer at the end of his contract.

He went on to score seven goals in 16 appearances for six-time Turkish champions Trabzonspor.

Sturridge has been suspended from all football and football-related activity until the end of 17 June.

The commission found he had instructed his brother Leon to bet on a possible move to Spanish side Sevilla, and that he had given him inside information during the January 2018 transfer window.

Sturridge said the FA’s case was “overblown and misconceived” and that he gave an innocent explanation for text messages to his brother.

Submissions on his behalf said he did not have the type of personality that is drawn to adrenaline or the risk of wrongdoing and had no real interest in gambling.

 

,

Leave a Reply