At least 17 Dead as Gunman Opens Fire in US School

No fewer than 17 people are dead after a 19-year-old man opened fire at a high school campus in Parkland, Florida.

The suspect has been named as Nikolas Cruz, and police say he’s a former student at the school who had been expelled.

It is one of the deadliest school shootings since 26 people were killed at a Connecticut school in 2012, BBC writes.

As the horrible attack unfolded students were forced to hide as police swooped in on the building.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel told reporters Mr Cruz killed three people outside the school, before entering the building and killing another 12.

Two people later died after being taken to hospital.

“It’s catastrophic. There really are no words,” Sheriff Israel tweeted later.

Mr Cruz has been released into police custody after being treated in an area hospital.

Mayhem broke out late Wednesday after the suspect pulled a fire alarm before firing indiscriminately.

Police and SWAT team members swarmed the campus and began clearing students from the school in Parkland.

Mr Cruz, who had been expelled for “disciplinary reasons”, was taken into custody without incident in the nearby town of Coral Springs about an hour after he left the high school, according to police.

“We have already begun to dissect his websites and things on social media that he was on and some of the things… are very, very disturbing,” Sheriff Israel said.

“Just a horrible day for us,” said Robert Runcie, the superintendent of the county’s school district.

United States President Donald Trump has since tweeted his condolences.

, ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *