The Islamic Movement of Nigeria has alleged that about 50 of its members were killed on Monday along the Nyanya-Keffi expressway by officials of the Nigerian Army.
A member of the group, Mohammed Gamara, told ChannelsTV that about 200 others were injured.
“So far, I don’t have the exact number of the casualties and the martyrs but if we say they are more than 50, killed by the Nigerian Army, I don’t think I will be exaggerating,” Gamara said.
The sect members were said to have clashed with the security operatives while they embarked on a march in Abuja, causing a gridlock which lasted for hours along the Nyanya-Keffi expressway forcing many to make their way by foot.
It also comes about 24 hours after members of the sect held a similar march along the Nyaya/Mararaba axis of Nasarawa State, on their way to Abuja.
On Saturday, three members of the sect were killed after a clash with troops of the Nigerian Army.
But the Commander of the Army headquarters Garrison, Major General James Myam, explained that the sect members, who were supposedly in a procession, set up an illegal roadblock along the route, which the convoy of the troops attempted to clear.