49 People Killed In Mass Shootings at Mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand

The New York Times is reporting that at least forty-nine people were killed in shootings at two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday, in a terrorist attack that Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described as “an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence.”

One of the gunmen livestreamed the shooting.

Speaking to the press, the country’s police commissioner, Mike Bush, said in an evening news conference that 41 people had been killed at Al Noor Mosque and seven at Linwood Mosque, and that a further victim had died at Christchurch Hospital. The police also added that four people, including three men and one woman, had been taken into custody. Prime Minister Scott Morrison of Australia said that one of them was Australian.

Mr. Bush said that a man in his late 20s had been charged with murder and would appear in Christchurch court on Saturday morning. “A number of firearms were recovered from the scenes of the shootings,” he said.

However, of the three others who were detained, the police commissioner said that one might have had nothing to do with the attack and that the police were working to determine how the other two might have been involved.

We continue to follow the updates.

,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *