22 killed in fresh attacks in Southern Kaduna

At least 22 people have been killed in fresh attacks on communities in four villages of Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Sosurcess ay gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen launched coordinated attacks on Apyia’Shyim, A’Piako, Atak’Mawei, and Kibori villages, all in Atyap Chiefdom of Zangon Kataf, burning homes in the process.

A source told TheNation that, the attackers operated unchallenged, having taken advantage of the all-night rain.

“It rained all through the night in the area and the attackers had unchallenged operations from around 10 pm Wednesday which entered early hours of Thursday.

“By the time they were done, 22 corpses have so far recovered at about 12pm today (Thursday) while the search is still on. They also burnt several houses,” the source said.

A resident of Atak’mawei village in Zamandabo ward, Irimiya Gandu, said no fewer than 13 persons have been killed and many houses were burnt down in his community.

According to him, “around 1:00am, I was already asleep when I heard the sound of gunshots. I stepped out from our compound we could hear the sound of gunshots from Apia’akum Community and far Kibori village were already under attack. I rushed into my house and brought out my families and ran to a safer place.

“So far, 13 persons are killed mostly Children and women. We are still looking for more. Many houses were burnt also,” he said.

Secretary, Atyap Traditional Council, Mr Stephen Akut, also confirmed the development to journalists, saying, “the attackers were said to be in large numbers and that the casualty figures are still sketchy. Security operatives have been mobilize to the affected communities.”

,

Leave a Reply